IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Post Partum Depression  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost Partum Depression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2006 at 10:57am

Some people cannot read small font.. they do have visual impairments.. nothing wrong with that..

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
najamsahar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 12:52am

Peacemaker:

First you were skeptical that there is a phenomenon of apostasy in this era. Reason: your wife and you didn�t know anyone who had done that.

Second, you ask for references. When you are given personal references, you want links.

Third, when you are given links, you don�t think that they are reliable. You delete the links.

Fourth, you undermine the issue by really funny reasons, �numbers of women entering Islam are more� and �that woman was not thinking right�

I attribute the problem to muslims of today and not Islam. This is where I disagree with you most. Islam as practiced today in regards to treatment of women is in very questionable and no one is willing to acknowledge it.

We can talk about what happened 1400 years ago, and how the Quran and Sunnah has elevated women but how does that help the women whose rights are being taken away under the shadow of Islam?

I do not know what you were expecting, a ticker tape on Islamicity or ISNA website showing the apostates? Maybe you know the punishment for apostasty in Islam ? The rationale behind this is that the apostates don�t spread any fitnah among the righteous.

If anyone likes to have and keep a certain view of the religion and issues that are plaguing it, they are free to do so. However, can these views influence someone who has experienced a different picture of Islam? Can opinions take the place of experience, I don�t think so.

I have far more experience (unfortunately) firsthand of many issues that I have mentioned in my posts. Your explanations come across as amusing if not ridiculous.

Lastly, I have neither read nor followed any maulvis. I have lived in four countries till now and have closely observed muslim societies in these countries, including Canada.

Like you I have followed the scholars you have mentioned. My issue is with the scholars you mentioned. Let me elaborate ( your favorite word)

Dr Zakir Naik : His focus is dawah to non muslims. Through his talks, he mainly dispels myths about women in Islam, his pet topics are polygyny, purdah, right of the women to work and so on . But I do not know of any effort he has made to address any of the issues that I mentioned in my first post. If you have, please elaborate.

Dr Jamal Badawi: He has written a book named �gender equity in Islam�, it is one of the thinnest book I have come across. He does talk about how islam has elevated the status of women etc.

Hamza Yusuf: He is the one scholar that has strongly put forward that 3 of the 4 madhabs believe that domestic chores are not the responsibility of women.

I am not aware of the works of Imam Shakir, will look up the next time I am in the States inshaAllah.

But what the scholars say is nothing new. Islam in not flexible and there is no room for doubt. So whether you read the Hadith books, tafsirs or you listen to the scholars, Alhamdulillah there is no controversy.

Again, this is not helping those who are in need. How many of the muslims actually read up and reflect? Out of the ones that do, most are those who are oppressed. The oppressors rarely read and reflect. And where do these scholars stand in way of making social progress? I have to go back to my original post where I said that there has to be a sustained effort from EVERY side, ISNA, scholars, MYNA, MSA�, local masjids. There should be community efforts and efforts at the family level. Anything short of this will simply not suffice.

Najamsahar

Edited by najamsahar
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 1:22am

Najamsaha...go girl

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 4:02am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Sis Ummaminata, I wrote, post martum depression is for sure real and no one is doubting its authenticity. These days no one really can, cos a simple head scan will tell the abnormal hormonal and neurotransmitter behaviour. What i meant to say was as you explained that these days a simple depression could also be noted via a scan. It just my english is so poorly muddled up  (see again) that some times needs explaining .

Sister najamsahar i do understand what you trying to say but how does it justify a person's apostasy. Asia, one of the most rightous women was wife of firawn, that dint change things for her, faith is seed of heart sis. Those scholars do thier utmost to explain the rulings of islam, they cant force it upon people, can they? Sister it is very easy to blame others of not having a proper islamic behaviour and forget about our own. Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala says in Holy Quran about people that why do they say what they dont do. Every muslim has to look at themselves to start with. Is our behaviour in the limits set by Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala? Do we treat other muslims as we want to be treated ourselves or do we put them down on every available chance? Do we think our views and way of thinking and our efforts are higher than others or do we give considerations to others? What have i ever done to spread the truth of our beautifull deen and did i do it in the right way or blasted fellow muslim in the process?

There is a long way to go sis, for all of us. I do agree that every body needs to struggle to bring back the true religion in our lives but with the humility and sincerity towards Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Wassalam

Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 4:54am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Assalamu Alaikum,

najamsahar:

"Four women that I know on a personal basis, thus being very sure of what I am saying apostasted. I dont know what you mean by references, do you want their names?"

By references I meant links to reliable sources such as web site links where I could study further on the matter.

Peacemaker, I read the other posts where you kept on wanting sources but not every source is on the internet  Please don't come down hard on people if they provide sources outside the internet and/or ones you prefer not to be posted on the forum. You ask you get   

Angel:

You are a very senior user here. You have many good posts, but there is problem that I would like to describe to you once again that has existed since rami's period as far as I could see. Maybe you consider that the problem is not as serious to worry about. But, that is your opinion. 

Whenever, any moderator makes an attempt to enforce guidelines or busy with handling those who consider themselves cyber missionaries, please stay away from those threads.

This is the last time I am telling you this.

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 4:59am

Fatima,

Apostasy is not justified in any circumstance, I have tried to express my concern and disgust at what is happening but if you will point out if there is any justification of apostasty in my post, I will edit the parts. 

The scholars are explaining but with all due respect I dont think this effort can be counted as "utmost". Let me ask you a question, In the past year, How many khutbahs have you heard that dealt with womens inheritance, and womens rights about things like domestic violence?

Like I said my experiences are different and I speak from my experience.

Najamsahar

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 5:48am

Assalamu Alaikum,

najamsahar:

"First you were skeptical that there is a phenomenon of apostasy in this era.

Reason: your wife and you didnt know anyone who had done that."

Please read again what I said. You are misinterpreting me. Even in my first post addressed to you, I accepted that woman may be leaving Islam.  

"Second, you ask for references. When you are given personal references, you want links."

I believed what you said. Nevertheless, as per the rules, I said, we need here reliable sources.

"Third, when you are given links, you dont think that they are reliable. You delete the links.

It is not that "I think". They are anti-Islam web sites. 

"Fourth, you undermine the issue by really funny reasons, "numbers of women entering Islam are more" and "that woman was not thinking right".

That is true. Islam is the fastest growing religion by the grace of Allah. Islam haters such as those web sites don�t like this. But, I admitted that problem existed. And I explained the ignorance of that woman and ignorance of those who may be leaving Islam.

"I attribute the problem to muslims of today and not Islam. This is where I disagree with you most. Islam as practiced today in regards to treatment of women is in very questionable and no one is willing to acknowledge it."

It is not Islam, but the people who practice it. But, there are still many good Muslims, Masha Allah, practicing Muslims, may be, you didn't come across. I have lived in three major continents for long periods including the place where you are, and I have found many wonderful Muslims. Yes, there are good and bad in every community.  

Islam can still be found in Qur�an and Sunnah what was there 1400 years ago. Some people may not follow, that is their problem.

"We can talk about what happened 1400 years ago, and how the Quran and Sunnah has elevated women but how does that help the women whose rights are being taken away under the shadow of Islam?"

Under the shadow of Islam, I agree. But, that is not Islam. It is not the fault of Islam.

"I do not know what you were expecting a ticker tape on Islamicity or ISNA website showing the apostates?"

I explained to you what I wanted.

"Maybe you know the punishment for apostasty in Islam ?"The rationale behind this is that the apostates dont spread any fitnah among the righteous."

Qur'an tells us, "Let there be no compulsion in religion." 

"If anyone likes to have and keep a certain view of the religion and issues that are plaguing it, they are free to do so. However, can these views influence someone who has experienced a different picture of Islam? Can opinions take the place of experience, I dont think so."

There is only one Islam. Please don't confuse with terms such as "a different picture of Islam". People may misinterpret Qur'an and Sunnah, it is people's fault.

"I have far more experience (unfortunately) firsthand of many issues that I have mentioned in my posts. Your explanations come across as amusing if not ridiculous."

You will have to provide sound basis to say that my explanations are amusing.   

"Lastly, I have neither read nor followed any maulvis. I have lived in four countries till now and have closely observed muslim societies in these countries, including Canada."

Okay.

"Like you I have followed the scholars you have mentioned. My issue is with the scholars you mentioned. Let me elaborate ( your favorite word)"

Dr Zakir Naik : His focus is dawah to non muslims. Through his talks, he mainly dispels myths about women in Islam, his pet topics are polygyny, purdah, right of the women to work and so on . But I do not know of any effort he has made to address any of the issues that I mentioned in my first post. If you have, please elaborate.

Dr Jamal Badawi: He has written a book named "gender equity in Islam", it is one of the thinnest book I have come across. He does talk about how islam has elevated the status of women etc.

Hamza Yusuf: He is the one scholar that has strongly put forward that 3 of the 4 madhabs believe that domestic chores are not the responsibility of women.

I am not aware of the works of Imam Shakir, will look up the next time I am in the States inshaAllah."

what have you done

But what the scholars say is nothing new. Islam in not flexible and there is no room for doubt. So whether you read the Hadith books, tafsirs or you listen to the scholars, Alhamdulillah there is no controversy.

Again, this is not helping those who are in need. How many of the muslims actually read up and reflect? Out of the ones that do, most are those who are oppressed. The oppressors rarely read and reflect. And where do these scholars stand in way of making social progress? I have to go back to my original post where I said that there has to be a sustained effort from EVERY side, ISNA, scholars, MYNA, MSA, local masjids. There should be community efforts and efforts at the family level. Anything short of this will simply not suffice."

Blaming others is easy. What have you or I done compared to these scholars so far? Let us ask that question first before pointing fingers at others.

Peace

Edited by peacemaker
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 6:14am

Peacemaker,

In some ways I think I have misunderstood you.

I will respond only to your last comment about the scholars in this post.

Scholars have a greater responsibility than ordinary muslims. Also they will have a higher criterion for being judged than us. There is no restriction from pointing out faults, but there is a right approach to doing things.

There was once a town where the people had crossed all limits of trangression. Allah SWT ordered His Angels to destroy the town. But the angel said, there is an extremely pious scholar in that town. Allah SWT ordered that "first destroy that scholar and then the rest of the town" Allah SWT does not need to give us explanations, but the reasoning here is that the scholar had to shoulder the burden of the situation as he was knowledgeable whereas the other trangressors were not.

Wallahi, I cannot give you the reference to the above! I have heard this incident time and again. the last time from Sh Mohammed Saleh of Huda TV, someone I respect immensely. If you are in doubt please go ahead and find the references.

Najamsahar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic