IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did he betray me?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did he betray me?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 2:25am

We do not read any stance wherein Khadeejah RA, moved out for bussiness. Unless and untill its a must to leave out for jobs, they can go for it. Else, home is her best place. 
True, we do not expressly read any instance which mentions tht Khadeejaj RA travelled for her business. . . but nobody is suggesting its a MUST for a woman to go out of her house. Especially today there are numerous opportunitites for women to work with thier home as a base (home-office, online businesses ) etc etc.
  However we DO know that she operated in a male-dominant society, which required a lot of skills and determination and 'independence' on her part. Like Shasta's Aunt mentioned, she knew how to read & write, Subhanallah! Which MANY MEN of the time could not do! Out of Prophet Muhammad's sahabah, the majority could not read/write. . . there were a rare few who had those skills, and Alhamdulilah Khadijah RA was one of them!
  Yet we do know that she had to professionally interact with her employees, mostly men. . . and she had a remarkable dignified reputation.

There were other Muslim Females of the time, who would venture out of thier houses to work as well! I forget the names, but there are mentions of them in the Ahadith. I think one of them was Zubair's RA wife (pl correct me if I got the name wrong), who would go with her husband to the field's and would carry water, so much so that the water-bag's strap would leave a mark on her shoulder.
The muslim women worked in fields, came to the Prophet & Hazrat Aisha to learn religion.

They attended Jihads/wars. . . and tended the weak and injured. Some EVEN fought in wars when they had to, some even fought with the pagans who tried to enter the forts/houses where the muslim women would be. 

And regarding Ayesha RA, shasta's aunt, that was complete different situation. And we get to read there that she was in veil seated over a palanquin { i did not get an exact word for it} on a camel.

Hence it can be concluded that there is nothing wrong with women venturing out of the house, when they are observing Hijab. The only reason why women are reccomended to stay at home is for thier own safety and comfort. Hence when the woman's safety is not being compromised, she can definitley venture out. Gone are the law-less days of frequent wars. . . women can safely venture out now without ever having to come into contact with male-strangers or exposure to danger (cars)

This thought of "Mine" and "Me" gets them {husband and wife} divided. Naturally, it does rise within them that its my money.

We may come up with that now. . . But Islam makes a clear distinction between the 'Mine' and 'Ours' money. Islam clearly states that the husband has NO right to his wife's property or income. And if he thinks he has a right to it he is wrong. The ONLY instance when he can touch her Property is if she WILLINGLY of her OWN accord asks her husband to take it, or use it or share it. (thus, asking the wife to give it to him, and pressurizing the poor wife does not count, it has to be out of her own free-will. . . there are cases where the man's family ASKS the girl's family to forego the Mahr, and they have to due to social pressures. That is unislamic & wrong) The husband cannot/should not assume that he has a "right" to his wife's money. That is unislamic. Thus there is nothing wrong with the "Mine" concept when it comes to women.
    Having said that, if a wife gives her property to her husband, or asks him to look after her financial affairs, or gives her husband a share in her property, there is nothing wrong with that. . .and may Allah bless her.

Edited by Chrysalis - 17 June 2008 at 2:45am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 2:48am

Islam supposedly did away with this type of thinking 1400 years ago...

Subhanallah . . .
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 2:55am
Conditions are still worse when a woman earns more than her husband.

This is quite a broad sweeping statement..so in essense a woman should only marry men who have the capabilites of making more money then them? So if a woman in an accountant she should not marry a restaurant worker?  Or a doctor should not marry a government worker?

I did not expect these many overwhelming responses, so please bear with me ... meanwhile feel free to add your disagreements (or agreements) if any

salaams Nausheen, guess it did.. lol  I think it has to do with that it if often hard to peg down 5 billion people and say all women are and should be one way and men are and should be another way it terms of characteristics and such.

For instance we can say men should be strong. Well so should women. They need to make tough decisions, raise kids and deal with the tests given to her.

We say women are soft. Well so are men. How many women worry about "right" time to approach their husbands with an issue? We don't want to "upset" them. Are men soft and weak? How many men are told to be gentle with their wives?

I remember reading in Seasons Journal from Zaytuna institute. Aboyt, I forget her name, but she was in battle with Prophet (PBUH) and defended his life. I think in those times, most women were quite "tough."

And really, so many women back then would not be any measure be described as "weak" and "submissive." These women talked ot the Prophet (PBUH), asked him questions, argued with him. I think he liked an intelligent woman.. Smile

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:14am
"Conditions are still worse when a woman earns more than her husband."

Hazrat Khadija not only earned more than the Prophet Mohammed, she was his employer.  It did not seem to cause a problem in their marriage, even Hazrat Aisha spoke of the Prophet's love for Khadija. 

I would venture to say that if a man has a problem with his wife earning more money or having more money then he has an issue with his self-esteem. 

As for Aisha going to war in hijab, she was still commanding the army, hijab or not. Which should tell today's Muslim women and men that it is perfectly fine for covered women to be out and about and even the boss of men.

I wear hijab and the reason I wear hijab is so that I might move about outside of my home. The Quran says that believing women should cover in front of non-mahrem men. It does not say that women should be secluded or locked away.  If you are observing purdah or were meant to do so, which is not from Islam, then there is no need for hijab and detailed instructions on the wearing of hijab would not have been necessary.

Sometimes it seems as though we are going backward instead of forward. Who decided that Muslim women have to be locked away, barefoot, pregnant, and ignorant? Certainly not Islam.....

Look at the bidah that is prevalent now: separate rooms at the mosque,(which prevents women from seeing the Imam), separate businesses for men and women, not allowing girls to attend school or women to vote, drive, etc....   None of this existed at the time of the Prophet, nor is it prescribed by Allah in the Quran. 

Edited by Shasta'sAunt - 17 June 2008 at 10:16am
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 10:36am

http://muslim-canada.org/prenuptial.pdf

"A careful reading of modern female

theologians of Islam would cause western

women to be impressed by legal injunctions more

than 1,000 years old that, for instance, grant

women legal rights to domestic help at the

expense of their husbands. Three of the four

Sunni schools consider domestic chores outside

the scope of a woman's legal responsibilities

toward her husband. Contrast that with US polls

showing that working women still do 80% of

domestic chores."

Shasta'sAunt View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shasta'sAunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

http://muslim-canada.org/prenuptial.pdf

"A careful reading of modern female

theologians of Islam would cause western

women to be impressed by legal injunctions more

than 1,000 years old that, for instance, grant

women legal rights to domestic help at the

expense of their husbands. Three of the four

Sunni schools consider domestic chores outside

the scope of a woman's legal responsibilities

toward her husband. Contrast that with US polls

showing that working women still do 80% of

domestic chores."

It doesn't matter what rights Islam gave women if men refuse to acknowledge them and women allow this by refusing to demand them.

�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.�
Eleanor Roosevelt
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 7:31pm
Let's be clear here:

A man who is breadwinner does not mean a woman in Islam has more rights than a non-Muslim whoever has this kind of logic needs to rethink it....
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 11:07pm

As'Salamu Alaikum,

Sister {Chrysallis}, you quote Dr. Zakir Naik very much. Here are his words

A women in Islam, if she wishes to work she can work - There is no text in the Qur�an or the authentic Hadith which prevents or makes it prohibited for a woman to do any work, as long as it is not unlawful, as long as it is within the preview of the Islamic Shariah, as long as she maintains her Islamic dress code

But natural, she cannot take up jobs, which exhibit her beauty and body - Like for example, modeling and film acting, and such kind of jobs. 

Many of the professions and  jobs which are prohibited for the woman are also prohibited for the man, for example serving liquor.  

For example working in gambling dens - For example doing any unethical or dishonest business - All these jobs are prohibited for both men and women. 

A true Islamic society requires women to take up profession such as doctors. 

We do require female Gynecologists - We do require female nurses - We do require female teachers 

But, a woman in Islam has got no financial obligations - The financial obligation is laid on the shoulders of the man in the family - Therefore she need not work for her livelihood.    

But in genuine cases, where there are financial crisis in which both the ends do not meet, she has the option of working

Here too, no one can force her to work - She works out of her own, absolute free will.

Besides the professions I mentioned, she can work in the house and take up tailoring, she can take up embroidery, she can do pottery, she can make baskets etc 

She is  also allowed to work in factories and small scale industries in which, which has been designed exclusively for the ladies. 

She can work in places which have got separate sections- gents and ladies, because Islam does not agree with intermingling of the sex

She can also do business, and where it comes to doing transactions, where it involves interaction with a foreign male, with a Na-Mehram, she should do it through a father or a brother or husband or a son

And the best example I can give you is of Bibi Khatija (may Allah be pleased with her) who was the wife of our beloved Prophet (may peace be upon him)

She was one of the most successful business women of her times and she did the transaction through her husband, Prophet Muhammed may (May peace be upon him)    

A woman in Islam has been given more financial security, as compared to the man. 

As I told you earlier, she� the financial obligation is not put on her shoulder - It is put on the shoulder of the man in the family 

It is  the duty of the father or the brother, before she is  married and  the duty of the husband or the son, after she is married to look after her lodging, boarding, clothing and  financial aspects of her. 

Now, coming to Dr.Israr Ahmed sahab. You must have heard him many a times over this topic. Last years , when he was in India, he clearlt explained, how it causes instability in a family and thus a society. I was searching for his words, but cud not get it. They were similar to sister Nausheen's explanation. What i say is, certainly, she got go out for jobs, but still home is her best place..

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic