IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Post Partum Depression  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost Partum Depression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 12:23pm

As Salamu Alaikum

I started reading this thread because it was regarding depression. Well one always gets surprised on IC.

Sister Najamsahar you talk about a Filipino woman who left Islam. You should have asked her to explain to you why she left. The answer is in the Saudi society. I have met many, many women who could not believe that Muslims (especially in the GCC) countries can behave in such cruel ways. They leave their homes and loved ones and come to work for their Muslim brothers and sisters, and feel at the same time they can enjoy living in a Muslim environment and what happens, disillusion. Nothing but disillusion! So they blame Islam and apostate. On the other hand I have also met many, many Reverts who embraced Islam because of the behavior and kindness of Muslims. It works both ways.  Unfortunately the world is not perfect we lose some and we win some. Sister please don�t think I am attacking you or the Saudi society, I am only making a point from personal experience (you have pointed out experience counts) and since you spoke about the Filipino and I have met many Filipinos returning home, I am making this point. Alhamdulillah most of them did not apostate but a few did because their sponsors were very cruel to them and in their ignorance they thought Islam was about cruelty. I put it down to Nisab (Fate) Allah Subhanahu wa Ta�ala guides whom HE pleases and lets to stray whom HE pleases.

But like brother Peacemaker, I don�t pay much attention to anti-Islamic sites or figures that come from there. It is very disheartening when we have to take the opinions of non-Muslims or anti-Islamic sites over Muslims. They goal is to disunity us and they are succeeding in doing so. Do we find Christians referring to Muslim/Islamic sites to see how many Christians reverted to Islam?

It is very sad Islam is still judged by the behavior of the Muslims and not by what is required of the Muslims by the Shariah.

Taking a cue from a point made my sister Fatima: Those scholars do thier utmost to explain the rulings of islam, they cant force it upon people, can they?  Today it has become a norm to criticism scholars, not only the recent ones but the great yesteryears scholars as well.  I met a woman once, to whom I quoted a Fatawa from the Late Bin Baz (may Allah have mercy upon him) and she told me that he was blind so what does he know. To most people he is regarded as one of the greatest scholars of our time but to some he was a blind man without knowledge. Audho Billahe minash Shaitanir-Rajim! It was only after about 4-5 months that I found out that his Fatawas to not appeal to the modern Saudi thinking.  He was their Mufti till his death. We all have our favorite scholars, and he (Bin Baz) still is one of my favorite.

One Japanese (ex-Buddhist) woman recently asked me: �Why does the West fear Islam when every book that I read about Islam, so far, points to its Beauty?� But I ask myself these days �Why do the MUSLIMS FEAR ISLAM?�  I wish I knew the answer??????????? Maybe I should start a new thread with this topic.

Btw I found the responses on depression very informative.

Salams

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
najamsahar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2006 at 2:09pm

Dear Alwardah

If you read my posts closely, I have tried to say what you have. That the muslims of today and the ignorant way that they prctise Islam is to blame for the disillusionment that is starting to creep within our communities.

I know it works both ways. But many muslims are not aware of this fact.

Did you read my post in response to sis fatima's comment about the scholars efforts?

Najamsahar

peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 5:26am
Originally posted by najamsahar najamsahar wrote:

Peacemaker,

In some ways I think I have misunderstood you.

I will respond only to your last comment about the scholars in this post.

Scholars have a greater responsibility than ordinary muslims. Also they will have a higher criterion for being judged than us. There is no restriction from pointing out faults, but there is a right approach to doing things.

There was once a town where the people had crossed all limits of trangression. Allah SWT ordered His Angels to destroy the town. But the angel said, there is an extremely pious scholar in that town. Allah SWT ordered that "first destroy that scholar and then the rest of the town" Allah SWT does not need to give us explanations, but the reasoning here is that the scholar had to shoulder the burden of the situation as he was knowledgeable whereas the other trangressors were not.

Wallahi, I cannot give you the reference to the above! I have heard this incident time and again. the last time from Sh Mohammed Saleh of Huda TV, someone I respect immensely. If you are in doubt please go ahead and find the references.

Najamsahar

Assalamu Alaikum,

Yes, Scholars have greater responsibilities. Their primary responsibility is to do research on Islamic affairs and convey message of Islam. That they are doing within available means. How do we know if they are not doing their job? Let us leave that to Allah. If you have any concern with any Scholar, it is better to discuss that matter with him/her. We have strict rules here at the forum regarding dealing with Islamic issues: Qur'an, Hadith, Scholars etc. See the guidelines:

4. When discussing issues dealing with Islam, please support your comments with the Quran or Sunnah. Mocking any Quranic reference, Hadith, scholar, or member will not be tolerated. If you are stating something about a religion, please list your source. If it is an opinion, please state this fact.

As I said before, it is time for us to concentrate on our individual responsibilities. Social affairs such as shelters for women, children, orphans, old age people require financial resources. This should be our responsibility. Therefore, if ISNA, for example, didn't help you, let us work to make another ISNA with those facilities that you would like to see in them. Can we think along this line?

True, there is no islamic country present in the world in spirit, we can still not be exempt from our individual responsibilities. Can we build media similar to BBC, CNN etc where we can invite Scholars to convey the message of Islam? Why can't 1.5 billion Muslims do that? I think if 100 millionaires out of population of 1.5 billion Muslims sit together, they can do it.

If I have that kind of money, I will buy major channels, insha Allah. For the time being, I don't have, don't know if I will ever have.

But, yes, we can do this job collectively. It would really be wise to ask us all such questions.

I would like to quote one of US presidents ( John F Kennedy, isn't it? ):

"Ask not what your country can give to you, ask what you can give to your country."

I would like to put it this way:

"Ask not what ummah or humanity can give to you, ask what you can give to ummah or humanity."

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 6:51am

As Salamu Alaikum Sister Najamsahar 

I was not disagreeing with you, only sharing my experiences on a point that you mentioned.

Yes I did read your response to sister Fatima and once again I was sharing my experiences when I referred to her statement. Even a great scholar like Shaikh Bin Baz (Ra) (I regard him as one of the greatest of our time) is disrespected and criticized by many of his own people, because his rulings do not satisfy their whims and desires. When I said that disrespecting scholars is the norm, I was generalizing and not referring to anyone in particular.

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2006 at 6:56am
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

I would like to put it this way:

"Ask not what ummah or humanity can give to you, ask what you can give to ummah or humanity."

May Allah guide us all.

Peace

As Salamu Alaikum

Subhanallah! I totally agree here, we should start working on ourselves first and foremost.

Salams

fatima View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2006 at 4:04am

Bismillah irrahman irrahim

Assalamu alaikum

Sister najamsahar, you were writing the wrongdoings of many muslims and then events of some women apostating in the same breath and i took it from there as it was sort of excuse. But as you said you dint mean it like that and i apologise for trying to solve a life situation with a maths equation of if x=y and all the rest, Sorry.

You raised a point of why not having sermons about opression of womenfolk and about thier rights. Sis thats the problem which is tearing the structure of ummah down. We have so many mosques alhamdulillah where im sure sermons are given of being one ummah. Then next those same people would tell common muslims how wrong the followers of other mosques are. If those sermon would have done something we would not be where we are today. Sis our problem is not just women and how muslim brothers treat their women. Actually i think that sort of is part of our problem, when sisters got treated badly they attributed it to islam rather than those muslims.

So many of us are scared of being married to a strict muslim brother, as sister alwardah asked why are we so scared of being a good muslim? I dont know when it started but with this feel of resentment in our womenfolk has derailed our ummah. I am not blaming sisters, it was a response, basic physics law right, every action has a reaction. But the reaction was wrongly directed, as a result of opression, instead of going towards the Lord and away from people's effections, we went away from Lord and found new ways of getting effections from people.

I was talking to my sister and we were discussing same thing, i said to her too that i think we went slightly off track when we started cutting our womenfolk from deep attachment to deen. I dont know how it started, was it negligence from our side or brother's side. But we put our future at risk because in our lap lays the strength of future. I only know of one muslimah scholar who is world known and thats where we went wrong. In the result of this only about 21% muslims are observing the salah, because if you dont see it happening in your family, your chances are very less in this blindingly glamorous world.

I know i am going on and on but if more than 70% dont even care about the duties toward their Lord, how are they going to care about other things. I dont know what i really am trying to say here but just that majority of us muslims dont know what islam means, its essence, its beauty. Till the time when we do, you cant expect much from people because using power when it is given to you is natural instinct, observing duties and rights of power comes with knowledge and im afraid we dont have that.

wassalam

Edited by fatima
Say: (O Muhammad) If you love Allah, then follow me, Allah will love you and forgive you your faults, and Allah is Forgiving, MercifuL
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2006 at 8:18am

Whenever, any moderator makes an attempt to enforce guidelines or busy with handling those who consider themselves cyber missionaries, please stay away from those threads. - Peace Maker

Peace Maker, I can only assume this comment was aimed at me since I am the one who posted the books and links that you are talking about.

I feel that you are lying on me by this statement.  I have never said nor claimed to be a Cyber missionary.  Please find a post where I have stated this? Please point out to me where in any post I have claimed to be a cyber missionary?

You asked for references and I found what I knew of, based off personal experiences of reading and interacting with persons from those websites. Who are you to even imply other wise?

What American, Candanian, or European Islamic orgnaization is going to list Apostates and create a support group for them? Please educate me brother I'm waiting. All the years I've been on this earth, surely I can learn more?

Just becuase I am talking about issues I believe to be important to Muslim women that happens to call for the personal accountability of Muslim men because Allah appointed them as the protectors and maintainers of women?

And furthermore, why isn't there a matured female moderator for the women's section instead of a man? This is exactly what I'm talking about. How can a Muslim man speak for me? Until you give birth brother, I don't need you or any other man advising me on PostPartum depression which this thread was supposed to be about.

It is clear that you have personal problem with me, and now I have one with you, because I feel you are lying on me, and I feel you are trying to determine my intentions which only Allah knows.

Mrs. Dia

Mrs. Dia
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2006 at 8:38am

Salaam o alaikum Fatima

My apologies for my misunderstanding of your post regarding postpartum depression. I proubably got confused with all the pasting and copying I was doing trying to read what people were saying.

And Fatima.. I want to say that I agree with you 100% regarding the solution to Muslim women's problems. Running from Allah won't help, but running toward Allah will help indeed.

Fatima Mernissi wrote a book called "The Forgotten Queen's in Islam." I do not care for Dr. Mernissi but this was a really good book in my opinion.  Muslim farthers have a whole slew of Muslim men from history to offer as a role model, while Muslim women aren't left with very much. There is not much written for the Europeans and North American Muslim about the mothers of the Prophets pbht, nor the Persian Queens, nor is there much written about the Muslima alim's.  As a mother of a duaghter, I do not want my daughter looking up to people such as Oprah Winfrey, Condaleeza Rice, Janet Jackson, nor even Rosa Parks as a role model- they aren't Muslim, there goal isn't ahkirah, there goal is dunya. What makes me enraged about this subject is nobody ever thinks about the young women this affects because were too busy blaming the other gender instead of getting to the real point!!!

The Islam that I know to be truth is the solution:

"It is not Al-Birr( piety, righteousness, and every act of obedience to Alah that you turn your faces toward east and or west inprayer but Al-Birr is the quality of the one who believes in Allah, the Last day, the Angels, the books, the Prophets, and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to al Al-Masakin the poor and to the wayfarer and to those who ask and to set slaves free performs salat and gives the zakat and who fulfil their covenants when they make it and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment and at the time of fighting such are the people of truth and they are the pious. Surat 2:177

How great is our Lord sister? How compassionate how mericful  Yet here we are fighting each other and ripping each other apart?

" And when my slaves ask you O Muhammad concerning me, then answer them, I am indeed near to them by my knowledge. I respoind to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on me with out any meditator so let them obey me and believe in me so that may be led aright." Surat 2:186

SupanaAllah

Mrs. Dia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic