IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My husband has another wife  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My husband has another wife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My husband has another wife
    Posted: 30 October 2007 at 10:16am

I am white British, and converted to Islam 4 years ago. I was so happy, but my life completely changed because I became a muslim. I moved away to a big city, with nothing, but gradually adapted to my new life. I found work and somewhere permanent to life. I was then 42. I met a Pakistani man who became my friend. I dreamed that I would marry him, but I didnt tell him for fear of sounding foolish. After a year we married, both legally and Islamically. I thought life was as perfect as it could be. We both worked hard. He had a large family in Pakistan that he needed to support because he was the oldest son and his father had died years before. SO I knew he had many responsabilites. Last year we both felt that it would be better for him to return to Pakistan to get his spouse visa there, as there were some difficulties getting it here. It is long and complicated. He returned to his country and was there for 6 months, returning last December. It was very difficult without him. I felt that something wasnt quite right. On his return I place the Quoran in his hand and asked him if he had another wife. He replied that he had. I was shocked but also not surprised. This year has been very hard for me. He returned to Pakistan again in May for 4 weeks. He contacted me very little. When he came back I was in a bad way. We argued, and it resulted in me asking him to leave, so I could have time to think. I never intended it to be longterm. However, we are now in October. I moved away from the city to be nearer my family. He understood my reasons, and he has visited me weekly for a few hours. We both love eachother, that has never been an issue, but I am still on my own. He has again returned to Pakistan, this time for 6 weeks. I find it very hard. He has said when he returns to England this time that he will move to be with me, and work locally. I have accepted the fact he has another wife, even tho' it is hard to share him. I have always desperately wanted to go to Pakistan with him, because I believe his family are now also mine, despite the culture difference. But I have never been to Pakistan. And this hurts me. Also I dont know if I am wife no1 or wife no 2, as he does not directly tell me the truth. My suspicions are that he was already married. Knowing which I am would not make any difference. I dont want us to be separate, I dont want a divorce, and neither does he. How can I resolve my situation? My western feeling and upbringing tell me to move forward in life without him, however my faith and love for him tells me I must not part from him. I have been married before, but this muslim husband is so special that I cant bear to think of a life without him. He has never been cruel to me, but his deceit has left me feeling hurt. Can I trust this man? Sometimes I think he has used me. But I know his conscience is pricking at him. He tells me not to worry, that he is always with me. I dont believe he is a bad man deep down, just someone who has done some bad things, that have made life complicated. Can anyone offer any suggestions please? Can I just add that I have accepted the other wife. But the problem comes more from me wanting to be accepted by his family. In Islam I am right in thinking that there is no caste system? So I find it hard to understand why I cannot be accepted in the asian culture. My husband wants to keep both lives/wives separate, but is he right to do this? I keep thinking about the Prophet Muhammed, peace be upon him, and his example to us. I dont want any problems, I jyst want us all to be friends. Is that to much to ask?

Edited by martha
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2007 at 3:03pm

I certainly feel your pain and anxiety.  It is so sad that men are fickle and deceitful.  Unfortunately it has been my experience that men like your husband marries Western ladies out of convenience while they are abroad studying and/or trying to achieve citizenship, only later to return for their wife or to marry inside their own culture leaving a wreck of emotions and destroyed relationships behind.  I suggest that you gather your strength to consider carefully � using your head and not your heart, deciding whether to stay or leave.  Forget the idea that his other wife and family will ever accept you, this is extremely rare.  Based upon what you have said, I really don�t see how he can be trusted. Allah Knows Best.

Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2007 at 4:30pm

As Salamu alaikum Sister

I agree with Abuayisha.

I just wish to add that maybe his family in Pakistan have no idea that he has another wife in the UK.

If he was sincere, you would have told you that truth from the outset and taken you to Pakistan with him.

Not all men are the same, I know of many sisters married to Indians and Pakistanis who have visited their in-laws and co-wives too in some cases.

May Allah make your decision easy for you and ease your burden. Ameen

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
samada View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2007 at 6:23pm

sister martha..i am so sorry that you are going through this.  what an aweful experience.  i am an american convert, and love a man that is from another culture.  i, too, am hoping for acceptance from him and his family.  so...i can relate to your sense of rejection and frustration entirely.  i can only imagine how much pain you must be in, given that you're married (i'm not yet, but hoping to).  for those of you who aren't converts, hear my cry:  you must stop looking at us as "different" from you.  Allah views us in light of our piety...not by our skin color, where we were born, etc.  Families that are on the right path must accept us just as Allah does.  surely you are not better than Allah, right?  If we're good enough for Him to be chosen among so many non-muslims in our western society, then you are "off" if you reject us, or believe we are just "not right for your families"....particularly becuase we are your muslim sisters and brothers.  Well, enough ranting and back to you, martha.  Of course continue praying...maybe even istakhara...if and only if you are truly willing to choose the right path (Allah's way).  ensure you are praying 5x a day (at least).  I've found that when i'm close to Allah, He's close to me.  Sometimes i need people to "smack me" and tell me what i'm not seeing.  and here i go:  this man has been dishonest and unkind to you.  he lied and he is keeping you from being happy by not mixing you with his family.  even if he is doing it to protect his family's feelings, it is wrong...becuase you, as his wife, come right after Allah.  Marriage is half of islam, and a source of pleasing Allah.  If it exists under deceptive circumstances, then it is wrong, wrong, wrong.  A strong, pious man would not do this.  you deserve someone who is honest and 100% dedicated to you.  There is no reason for a man to be married to more than one woman unless there are highly unusual circumstances...not just becuase he feels love for another woman, or needs citizenship, has plenty of money, prestige, etc.  He was selfish in marrying two women.  It is very clear to me, the only reason you should stay with this man is if 1) he is honest to the world (Allah, first) about you and brings you "out of the closet" and 2) you are happy given the outcome of "coming out".  So, if his family continues to reject you and he fails to say, "I am a grown man, i love martha and she is a good muslim woman AND you accept who i've chosen as my wife or see me a lot less and 3) you can deal with sharing him.  It is my understanding that a man should take a second wife only with the first wife's permission.  either way, he's wrong.  Since he is clearly not following the right path, and he deceived you, then i think you are entirely permitted to ask for divorce.  yes, i think you should sever ties with him and move on.  i may just have to do the same for similar reasons...it is so very hard.  surely there are brothers out there that are truly seeking pious wives, and know that they need to answer to Allah, and and to their families, if and only if (Allah tells us this in the Qur'an) their parents are leading the right path (think of Abraham going against his father when he was wrong).  So, don't live any longer in misery.  You are not truly happy with this man...how could you be, western or easter alike?  Allah wants you to strive to honor Him and in all the roles He gave you.  It sounds to me that you're in distress over this marriage.  Surely it keeps you from brining honor to all your other roles in life, because you are distressed.  It hurts...Allah know it.  It's difficult to believe (for me, too), but He has the ability to fill all of our voids.  And He is merciful.  Ask, beg his mercy on you, and Insha'allah, He will comfort you.  So, again, i'm not an imam, but i think you have no reason or obligation to stay in this marriage given that it was based on deceit and continues to exist in unkindness.  i'm so glad you wrote...i will pray for you tonight, sister martha, and i hope you will for me, too. 

marchfriday View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marchfriday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 9:08am

Assalmo-Alaikum Sister,

Considering following things

• He has never been cruel to you
  • Muslim husband is so special that I can�t bear to think of a life without him
  • I dont believe he is a bad man deep down
  • You love him

Let me tell you sister that to have good husband now a days is very blessing; only few people are with good attitude, if you have this blessings don�t lose it. Life is short try to accommodate him in current situation, don�t get panic or anxiety. Islam permits man to have four wives providing if he giving all equal rights.

So not think bad for you loving husband, I do agreed that he should tell truth to you before marriage; anyhow leave past and don�t curse it what so ever happened was good and perfect; and that�s the FATE believe. In your case I even believe that nothing happened bad Allah have blessed you with good human which are very few in this world.

Regarding your shift to Pakistan I don�t see any issue except you must should ask separate home otherwise you will be in real trouble. Don�t even think of that 2nd wife will accept you, and should not care; and not even it�s your need, you have to live your life and you will. Other than 2nd wife may be there are some good relatives who will accept you but it all depends. So far in current conditions just think of your husband; if he is enternal good then jump in without fear.

Pakistan is not that much backward country, good communities do exists. If you are working women you will survive even better. I don�t know your profession but I am sure you will get opportunities.

Let me again suggest you that don�t get panic or anxiety, take care of your health, �Count your blessings not difficulties�

And at last welcome to my Pakistan.

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 9:49am

Asalam Alaikum,

What a difficult situation for you!  I have bene to Pakistan and can understand some of the challenges you face.

I think that is all would depend upon his individual family. Having more then one wife is not that common there, from what I have encountered. And you have to take into account if they have a joint family system. Cause if they do, his other wife will be living with his family. That means she is mostly like intergrated into the family. And to be honest, I would find it extremely difficult to live there without the support of his family. Some families may be fine with it. Some will not.

When I was in Pakistan I was asked to be a 2nd wife. It is different cause I know they were married.  But knowing what I know, I would not have done it unless the family instigated it.  For you do not know if his marrying you is seen a a betrayal of the family.  You just don't know.

And really if his other wife (and possibly) kids live with them, it will be very hard to intergrate into that. Yes they may be "forced" to accept you as they are often at a disadvantage economically and 'educationally" but it won't necessarily be good. If he has not already told them that tells you all you need to know, they won't be happy.

I don't think, necessarily, your acceptance hinges on your not be Asian, it is the situation at hand.. coming into a household as a 2nd wife. He then has to face to the reality that he also deceived his family. But your ethnicity is less of a factor. Plus they also don't "know" you. This again puts you at a disadvantage. 

Chances are also that his marriage is not all about "love."  Not all marriages end up on that level, but they will stay married. He met you and found a "connection". So I see how it happens.

So it seems that you have to choose

1. leave him

2. Continue as is.. knowing that you will not be part of his family in the way you would like. Knowing he does have another family.

3. Try to go to Pakistan. I tell you, it may be a nightmare.. Keep in mind that the other wife probably has no idea you exist. She will be almost forced to accept the situation as she is at a very big economic and educational disadvantage (9 times out of 10). Divorce for her would be very difficult in that culture. If there are children involved it becomes even more difficult.

I do think you need to confront him more and get more knowledge before making a decision. You need to know exactly what he has done. Of course you would not know, depending upon his age, that he was probably married. As I say everyone is married in Pakistan. It would be rare to be 33 and not married for a guy. And I am not sure how old your husband is...

I do feel for you. I don't think there are any easy answers. The saddest part is the deception. It shows how much people can realyl hurt others.

Knowing what I know about Paksitan soceity and culture, I could not ever go to Pakistan as a 2nd wife. I just know too much. But you'll need to decide for yourself.

My duas for you.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 9:57am
Thanks so far for the comments. I have spoken to his mother before, and also some of his sisters. So they definately know he is married to me. As for the other wife it is hard to say. But he seems to stay longer each time he goes. He said he was going for 3 weeks this time, then he phones me and tells me he is there for 6 weeks. It is very hard.
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2007 at 5:01pm

As Salamu alaikum

Sister Martha, Masha Allah the sisters have given you very good advice.

I agree with sister Hayfa, you need to confront your husband and get all the facts before going to Pakistan.

When you are in a foreign land, you will need your husband's support, as that is the only support you will have.

Most families in Indo/Pak can drain a foreigner emotionally but on the other hand there are families that will shower her with love and affection till she says "stop I had enough".

Don't worrry so much about the co-wife or his family for now, worry about your position in his life.

Insha Allah, Allah will help you make the right decision. Ameen!

Sister Samada, Welcome to the forum. You sound very angry and I was too when I read the post. As Muslims, we need to fear Allah and realize that His is watching each and every action. Unfortunately today's men are very deceitful. Many sisters have faced what sister Martha is facing today, and many sisters will face this situation in the future.

When we truly believe in Allah and trust our affairs to Him, He shows us the way. Don't forget that after every hardship comes ease and Paradise is veiled by hardships.

May Allah guide us and keep us on the Path that leads to Paradise. Ameen

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic