IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Woman Pleads Guilty  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Woman Pleads Guilty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Woman Pleads Guilty
    Posted: 13 May 2008 at 6:34pm
(AP) A woman pleaded guilty Friday to third-degree murder for killing her bigamist husband in August, hours before he was to fly to Morocco to visit his new, second wife.

Myra Morton, 48, resented the marriage and her husband's plans to have children with the younger woman. She shot her spouse of 25 years, Jereleigh Morton, twice in the head while he slept, and blamed the crime on an intruder.

She faces about five to 20 years in prison.

Defense lawyers acknowledge the crime was intentional, but say it stemmed from the damaged psyche of a humiliated, aging woman still depressed over the death of a teenage child years earlier.

"The idea that this man was now going to marry another woman, and provide her with money that came from a dead child's lawsuit recovery, was too much to bear," lawyer Brian McMonagle said.

Edited by abuayisha - 13 May 2008 at 6:36pm
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 7:05pm

Quite obvious she was not Muslim at all if she had to go take this man's life in his sleep. psychological is a common distress used by defense attorneys to lessen the severity of the sentence. In my opinion she deserves the maximum sentence of 20 years regardless of her age. To put one bullet in a persons head is enough to wrrant at least manslaughter if the defense team wants to argue psychological distress but two? This implies intent to kill and the jurors will not see remorse. You justdon't put two in someone's head and say you are psychologically distressed. There is deliberation in pulling the trigger especially if your target is sleep.

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2008 at 7:20am
ya.. you know we all make choices.. killing a person is not a good response except in self-defense.

And to blame on intruder.. I do tink that some people are really psychologically a mess.. but not sure in this case.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
rosie View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 9:33pm
Israfil, I don't believe we are able to make judgements on others in regard to their faith.  We are all human and are not suitable to make judgements on others.  Only Allah knows who among us are true Muslims and who is not.  Her actions were not Islamic, but that does not make her not a Muslim.  We all make mistakes.  We all make actions that do not follow the teachings of Islam.  That is what makes us human. We should all strive not to make such harsh judgements.  Instead, we should make dua for her as well as the families affected by her actions.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:14pm
I'm sorry Rosie. But we ALL make judgements. From clothing to people we all do it. Simply saying we shouldn't or committing ourselves to not do it is only self-denial. I've been called non-muslim here many times so, its not a phenomena. With regards to this women I'm sorry if you put two bullets in your sleeping husbands head I think you cease to believe in what God wrote and what Muhammad stood for. Killing a life is an ultimate (if not the most) ultimate sin. As far as I'm concerned she was not under attack nor prompted. Like I said legally in the eyes of the court its hard to argure insanity when you fire two rounds in a sleeping persons head. This part of the body is vital as a head shot will instantaneously kill you. In this case I don't think she was striving to be anything except a murderer.
rosie View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:28pm
Isafril, I realize we all make judgements.  I just don't believe those judgements should be voiced against another Mulsim's faith. Justifying call some one a non-Muslim by stating that you have been called a non-Muslim is not right. I am not saying what she did was right.  I believe that she was completely wrong.  She is being punished for what she did.  I just don't believe that anyone but Allah has the right to pass judgement on one's faith. 
Salams_wife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salams_wife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2008 at 11:02pm
Actually, it is fairly common for people to shoot more than once.  You rarely see a case where anyone shoots only once.  How many times have you seen where police put 40 bullets into one person?  It has been proven through studies that once a person starts shooting they fail to realize what they are doing by shooting more.  I am actually suprised she didn't shoot more and believe that is better evidence that she was shooting deliberately.  She is guilty regardless of how many times she shot him, but what her state of mind was at the time is not for me to say, only God knows that for sure.
Israfil View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Israfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 10:25pm
Salams_Wife, as a police officer myself I'd want to see your evidence that "it is fairly common people shoot more than once." Using the cop example is not a defense for your statement. How cops use lethal force is different from a citizen. Depending on the circumstances of deadly force, many citizens who use it properly may shoot multiple times but this depends on the circumstances.

But regarding the woman, in the court of law and in my experience it is hard for the defense to argue insanity as this argument leaves without a doubt the defendant was without  rational mind. Shooting someone multiple times while arguing insanity is difficult because there is deliberation in pulling the trigger (according to the court of law). Also, in the circumstance the killing was done (such as the man sleeping) she "knew" shooting him during his sleep is a 'perfect' time to end his life because of vulnerability. But yeah, I'd like you to show this proof of your statement as I have experienced different.

Edited by Israfil - 25 May 2008 at 10:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic