IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Husbands Helping out?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Husbands Helping out?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Husbands Helping out?
    Posted: 29 July 2005 at 12:46pm
Salaam sisters, I was wondering how you all feel about your husbands helping around the house. Before I got married I made it very clear that I would not do all of the housework and child care myself and my husband agreed. I have held him to it and he probably does about 25% of the house work. Mainly vacuuming, yardwork, taking out the garbage and recycling and helping clean the kitchen after dinner and putting away clean laundry. He also probably changed about 15% of the diapers and does kids baths and bedtime routine about 15% of the time. I feel this is fair for now since I am not working and he usually works alot. I do all the cooking though and although I enjoy it, sometimes it gets really old. When we had more money we used to have a cleaning lady come twice a month that would clean the house from top to bottom. We are planning on having one again next year. Anyway I feel that all sisters should expect husbands to help if they don't provide a maid and from  what I have read this is Islamically correct. I hope you all have a good situation.Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 7:41am

Living in the states I had no help and 4 children. Tooooo much;of course the men come home too tired to do anything. Now i have 2  maids and a guard and gardner. Masha�llah, but with help comes problems.Sometimes i wish that they would all go away. Subhanallah we are never satisfied.

J.R. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 8:34am
Assalamu Alaikum,

One thing I wills ay for my husband is that when we were together he was
very considerate of my needs. He offered again and again to help me
cook, even when I told him it was my pleasure to do so. He asked if he
could help with countless things I was doing. He often said he would
much rather help me do chores around the house so he could share that
time and be around me rather than just be by himself while I was doing
them. Man, he does have many good qualities. So confused!! But yes,
the Prophet (saw) often helped his wives with house-related issues. Our
beloved Prophet respected women so much and treasured their opinions
and company. All Muslim men should follow that example.

Peace,
J.R.
Smile
Saido View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 8:53pm

Asalamu Alaykum

Yes, it is nice to have the husbands to do some house work. But don't try to get them to clean when they are tired and just came from work becaus then things can get a bit ugly

ummsaleh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummsaleh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2005 at 10:42pm
I agree Saido, I have 7 children and weekly dinner partys for at least 30 people; theres no way i can do it alone.
Lost somewhere in the Middle East.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 6:52am
I am as tired as my husband when he gets home from work. He does an office job and is not laying bricks or anything. In fact I think my job as a houswife and Mother is more physically difficult than his and it would be easier if I worked in an office too. I am staying home for the benifit of him and my children not because it is easier. So when he gets home I expect him to be ready and at least occupy the kids. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Rose View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 8:50am

Salaam

Jenni, I think so too that our job is more physically and may I add mentally hard just thinking about everything in the house and the kids and when the is a doctors appointment, or what to cook, or......... I could keep going.

True the husband goes to work and I respect how much he has to put up with just to put food on the table, but when he comes home he has nothing to worry about while the wife is usually still running around the house from the "kids", and house work (which never ever finishes). So even though the husband doesn't help around he should atleast appreciate what she is doing.

But, I am not talking about me just in general 'cause I see most of my friends that their husbands don't care or appreciate what they do.

My husband helps around sometimes, but I don't like to tell him to help me work in the house 'cause I do think that that is a females job, cooking maybe sometimes, kids definitly.

Peace

A thorn defends the rose,harming only those who would steal the blossom
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2005 at 9:00am
Rose, why do you think that it is a females job? Everything I have studied in Islam says that it is the Husbands job to maintain the home. The wife is not required to maintain it, if she does so she is doing an act of charity for him. And as far as taking care of the kids there is the loving and teaching them and the physical care for them such as the bathing and dressing which are just as much the resposibility of the father. Muslims get the idea that this is womans work, this is cultural not Islamic. And in wealthier Muslim countries and even in Pakistan where my Husband is from upper middle class women do basically no housework and have a fulltime maid and gardener. They pretty much only cook and thats it, if they want to. Some have nannys as well who help with the kids if they don't have thier moms or mother in laws around. Since we are living in the U.s.a and labor is very expensive I don't expect all that. But I do expect him to help around the house, since this is not my job I am just doing as a favor to him. Peace
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic