IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asala126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hijab
    Posted: 22 March 2006 at 11:03am

Assalamu Alikum sisters,

Lately, I have been trying to be a better Muslim.  I have been reading more and more about Islam.  I know Muslim women have to wear the hijab.  But I still can't find it in myself to do so.  Am I considered to be a not good Muslim?  What should I do to help me wearing it?

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 2:49pm
If you are in Egypt what is stopping you? People will respect you more. There are many of us sisters here in western countries that don't wear Hijab because we will be stared at or called names or worse. And the sisters that do wear Hijab have to be so strong allways. If I lived in Egypt or my husbands native country of Pakistan I could not see any excuse not to wear hijab, especially if I wanted to start wearing it to be a better Muslim. Peace
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 9:41pm

As salamu alaikum sis. Asala.

I wouldn't label you or anyone a "bad" muslim.  Judgement is for Allah alone.  However, you do need to understand that you are in a state of disobedience to Allah azza wa jalla (ma'siyat allah) .  That's a dangerous state to live in and an even worse state to die in. 

Many women think that just because you're in an "arab" country hijab is easy.  I know that's not true.  I know lots of Arab girls that feel pressure to be "hanaqeesh" (not saying that you are).  I remember one day I was visiting an arab sister.  It just so happened that another one of her friends visited that had just started wearing proper hijab.  The sister actually asked her "malik tahajjabti!!" and laughed. 

I get the feeling that you want to wear hijab.  And in sha allah (unlike my friend's situation) there are plenty of people around you that will encourge you in fufilling your duty to Allah.  If there aren't, then let the promise of Allah's pleasure upon you be your encouragement.

Good luck sister.  May Allah increase you in patience and bless you in your efforts towards obeying him, Ameen 

Salaam

Mishmish View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mishmish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 12:00am

Assalamu Alaikum Sister:

When I first became a Muslim I had a high position working in a very large corporation. They did not have casual days, you were expected to wear business attire at all times. I would wear hijab to the mosque and most of my time off, but the desire to wear hijab full time became very strong in my heart. I felt that my outer appearance should reflect my inner beliefs, and I knew that I needed to follow the command of Allah to cover myself. I also knew that showing up at work in hijab would be one of the most difficult things I would ever do.

One day I woke up to go to work, and I knew it was the day. I washed my hair and just pinned it up so I couldn't take off my scarf even if I wanted to, put on a jilbab, I figured might as well go all the way, and drove to my job. I sat in the parking lot for about 20 minutes, I was terrified! Finally I made myself get out of the car and go inside. The security guard stopped me at the door and everyone was staring. It was horrible, but it was one of the most important days of my life. I felt strong and so free.

That was almost 10 years ago and Al HamdilAllah I can not even imagine what it would be like to take it off now. It has become such an important and intregal part of who I am. Wearing hijab gives you such a feeling of peace and identity.

I live in the States so I do get stared at and people make remarks, but I ignore them. After September 11 my Mom called me many times and asked me to take it off, but I told her I can't, it is part of my life.

If I am killed because I am a Muslim in hijab, perhaps that is the only way I could go to Jennah. I would be shaheed, Insha'Allah. And if I am hurt or killed because of the hijab, then that is my naseeb, and nothing I do or don't do will change it.

Sister, if you are feeling the desire to wear hijab, please listen to your heart and don't fear what people will say. Those people will not be judging you on the Day of Judgement. Their opinions mean little in this life and nothing in the next. Just be sure that you are ready, so that you can be strong in your decision.

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what is essential is invisible to the eye. (The Little Prince)
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 3:18am
Bismillah.....Assalaamualaikum,

I liked what all the sisters shared above!
Allah says in the Holy Quran,

"And I (Allah) created not the jinns and humans except they should worship Me (Alone)."
(  سورة الذاريات  , Adh-Dhariyat, Chapter #51, Verse #56)

"Nay, to Him belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth, and all surrender with obedience (in worship) to Him." 
(  سورة البقرة  , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #116)

"Then whoever turns away after this, they are the Fasiqoon (rebellious: those who turn away from Allahs obedience). " 
(  سورة آل عمران  , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #82)

Sister, Do read the Quran regularly, the biography of the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wasallam). Also about his wives and the sahabiyaat. It will make your iman stonger and will encourage you to do good. Insha Allah.

Remember Allah asked you to wear hijab to protect you, this article about hijab "hidden pearls" is touching....
http://www.alhudapk.com/reading-material/articles/hidden_pea rls/hidden.asp

And most important, you want something??? MAKE DUA!!!

Love you all for the sake of Allah,
ma'assalaama.......

Edited by amah
Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
asala126 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asala126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 5:18am

Thank you all for your replies. 

Sister Jenni, I really don't care what the people will think of me or if they will start looking at me because of the hijab.  I used to live in he States and I used to always wear proper clothes and never cared of who would stare at me or not.  People at work knew me because I am a Muslim and knew what they can and can't do infront of me.  I am a Muslim by birth, but I am a good Muslim by choice.  And I am proud to be one.  I fear Allah in everything I do.  People looking or helping is not my problem.  My problem is in me, and that is what I need the help with.

Sister Amah, thank you for the article, but the link you sent is not displaying anything.  Would you please check it out for me?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post, Jazzako Allah Kheer all.

Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:23am
The point is people take do not appreciate the respect a Muslim woman recieves for wearing hijab in a Muslim country. My Egyptian friend who wears hijab told me, the women in Egypt who try to look modern are crazy, they get teazed by men all the time. The women who wear hijab are respected much more. That was my point! ANd I don't care what anyone says wearing a hijab is way easier in a Muslim country!! So please sisters lets not start the Hijabi/non hijabi war again because everyone is really sick of it. Most sisters in the U.S. don't wear in, most would like to but don't. That is a fact, and as bad as things are for muslims in the west right now I don't think anyone needs to act like a martyr, we are more divided than ever, and divided we will fall...
You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Jenni View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2006 at 7:26am
By the way, people also know I am a Muslim, being white with blue eyes and blond hair, looking scandinavian. And they think I am a traitor to marry a Paki and become a Muslim, no one here can judge anyone elses situation but I know especially when it comes to hijab you all love too!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic