IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Post Partum Depression  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost Partum Depression

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Partum Depression
    Posted: 22 October 2006 at 8:52pm

As salaam o alaikum Ladies

As you can all tell, I have " some issues on mind."

In my local mothers group, we have been discussing depression during child bearing years.We've ready many books on the subjects and have talked until " were blue in the face" {lol ) about it. I notice a break down in our discussions comes when the issue of religion and spirituality come into play.

I am aware that there are Muslims who believe that mental illness temporary or long term is a direct cause of the ego, the naffs, sin, God's punishment, and Jin or shayteen.  While I respect their beliefs, I don't agree, becuase research indicates that it literal defects of chemicals and functions in the brain, enviournment, life experiences, and physical health illnesses such as thyroid, diabetes, etc.

Sisters, as I reflect on our discussions about this I've come to these conclusions:

It is clear that many mothers are suffering from depression as a result of hormonal imbalances, diabetes, thyroid problems, poor nutrition, sleep deprivation, trauma, and chemical imbalances.

However I'm beginning to notice that our life styles excerbate or maybe even cause the decline in mental health. For example, many women complain about the lack of support from their husband regarding shared parenting, house work, and discpline. I'm aware that the Prophet pbh assisted in these areas, and I'm aware that scholars such as Imam Malik and Shafi'i were of the opinion that for Muslim women these were not fard or obligatory.

Many women complain about the isolation, and lack of emotional support. For those who have elected to stay home it is even worse.

It is mainly these issues that are causing so many women to fall into severe depression.

My husband is from West Africa, and alhamidlal, when women become mothers they have intact extended family systems that step in and assist. In other words these people practice the belief that it takes a village to raise a child. Dr. Christanne Northrup is of the opinion that the worst arrangement for mother and children is for her to always be the primary care taker as it leads to illness in the mother, child, and society.

I'm wondering if this stay at home mom do it all and be a superwoman is a Western phenomnan? In so called third world countries working, education, and emotional support aren't competing interest's.

Many women work with their children, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, cousins, and family friends assist one another from birth til death.

Of course that type of arrangement has it draw back as well.  I do know that in the U.S. extended family systems to used to be strong, but I believe the feminist looked at the extended family system as supporting male supremacy and keeping women trapped in family oriented positions for ever.

What I find so interesting about this is perception from feminists is that this doesn't seem to be the belief shared by other men and women overseas.

Of course you have your napolean complexes and freaks in every society but for the most part the women are versatile even if it's being a mother, farmer, religious activist and all.

Salaam ladies

Mrs. Dia
UmmTaaha View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 9:27pm

Verily in the rememberance of allah do hearts find rest!

Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 9:42am

A very good  topic.

I think you did a good job on summarizing the various aspects of the whole issue.  As you said there are chemical / hormonal changes that happen to women. And when you combine this with the cultural values in our society which no doubt exacerbates the situation.

Women in the west are more isolated as you mentioned.  It must be very stressful to be alone with a colic baby for example that will not stop crying and there is no relief in sight. Never mind not resting yourself, but feeling powerless to help one�s child. In a more extended family you would get help in this regard.

Plus in other cultures you are not as much an �individual� as part of a collective group. The needs of all are taken into account. Then you have here, where before having a child, you are independent, do whatever you want, when you want. And once you have a child comes into the picture, that changes abruptly.

I don�t think we can really understand why some people are afflicted with mental illness or depression. We truly will never know Allah�s will.  It is another whole ballgame for people to be a bit sad now and then, manic depression, schizophrenia, etc are another level.  It is also what is exposed or talk about. These things happen in more traditional societies, I have a dear friend who has an aunt who is mentally ill in India. Just often many of these people are hidden away.

I highly recommend reading a book called Crazy by Pete Earley. It is about his son who was diagnosed with a mental illness around 20 years of age and the father�s delving into the whole issue.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
UmmAminata View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 5:12pm

Salaam Hayfa

You made such an important point about "individualism"- I personally believe that this mentality causes the failure of so many marriages, and the dysfunction within so many families. In a culture that preaches capitalism, or "Just Do It"- individualism is the internal computer chip that is being controlled by coporatations, and greed mongers.

It truly does take a village to raise a child.

And I also agree with you that mental illness is prevalent in traditional societies, however I haven't heard much about Major depression or anexity disorders or situation depression or Seasonal Affective disorders in these countries. I can under major illness such Bipolar disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality disorders.

It seems that our culture, and society are pushing women over the edge. As I think about Andrea Yates, and the Schizophrenic woman who threw her new born, toddler, and school aged child into a river, I often wonder if mental illness is our silent bubonic plague?

Mrs. Dia
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2006 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by UmmAminata UmmAminata wrote:

I'm wondering if this stay at home mom do it all and be a superwoman is a Western phenomnan?

I believe it is not the stay at home mum issue but thinking that you need to do all, be a superwoman is more like it.

I like the rest of your writing.

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 5:48am

I believe it is not the stay at home mum issue but thinking that you need to do all, be a superwoman is more like it. - Angel

A mind is a terrible thing to waste hunh?

Sister let me clarify what I meant in what you quoted me on.

What I found during our mother's group research on this issue was that the stay at home mother who is always the primary care taker shouldering home and children while her husband pushes sixty hours a week seems to be limited to Europe and the North America's- and than, not all of Europe. In other nations it appears they still use the village system to care for mother and child. They still believe women need women.

And the superwoman issue.. boy oh boy..

You know what I find interesting sister?

In underdeveloped countries the women actually are doing it all. And proubably then some. Unlike us not all of them have an I-Pod, Sears washer and dryer, and a 2006 Mini Van.

My experience is most related to West Africa.

Many of I guess what we may call "working class" women are farming, mothering, cleaning, cooking, sewing all of the families clothes, and some are going to school on top of all this. But becuase there is a national consensus for that, women take care of other women, and the village system is effective.

For European and North American women we are missing the village system, and the sisterhood of women caring for women. I believe that is why there are so many mothers groups is becuase people are trying to form the modern equivalent of an agrian society again.

Salaam

Mrs. Dia
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 9:34am

Many of I guess what we may call "working class" women are farming, mothering, cleaning, cooking, sewing all of the families clothes, and some are going to school on top of all this. But becuase there is a national consensus for that, women take care of other women, and the village system is effective.

Yes, alot of women do it "all" in certain areas.. they farm, herd, run small businesses etc. I think why they do not have the smame issues is that it is overall, a less "fast-paced" lifestyle.  It would be interesting to do a cross-cultural study so to speak.

Often people in the west look at other cultures as "backwards" and such. But there is nothing about the positive aspects.

I saw a piece going to be on PBS called My Country My Country, an independent film by a woman who went to Iraq to see behind the scenes in Iraq. She said, the producer to show that women are not "push-overs." and argue etc with their husbands, families etc. There is a lot of steroetypes about people, especially about women in Moslem societies. It is expected to air tonight on PBS at 9pm. To see local listings: http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2006/mycountry/

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2006 at 11:01am

Thank you Hayfa I will check out in'sha'Allah.

To be perfectly honest with you sister, I'd rather be in Senegal half the time. I guess it's different for me becuase my mother is deceased. And my younger sister is also mother living clear across the country.

I agree about our fast paced life. There is a wonderful book called The Price Of Motherhood. It's very informative, and unbiased. She approaches from a non traditional perspective not bashing men, motherhood, and our wombs but taking a hard look at everything in " the machine."

When I became Muslims years ago, I knew that push over image was clearly a lie, I met some tough Arab and Pakistani sisters that weren't playing at all. Some even served in the Army and marines in order to finance their education while raising children.

Hat's off to them  

Mrs. Dia
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic