IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - seeking advice on bringing up kids  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

seeking advice on bringing up kids

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote umss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: seeking advice on bringing up kids
    Posted: 29 November 2006 at 4:16am

Bismallah

Asalaam Alaikum,

I am a mum of two daughters (6 and 2 years old) living in london. I am sincerely seeking advice from sisters here on methods of bringing up kids in islamic way. I have got a lot of questions on this issue, which puzzled and even upset me everyday now. 

Sisters, please give me some tips and hints on how to do if your kids :

1. disobey or delay to respond you even on a small request like stop watching TV and go to sleep etc.?
  2. lack of consentration on study?
  3. did something that you dislike, even it is halal thing?
  4. attending the public school in the UK?
  5. short of motivation and brave to take a bit adventure, e.g. to get a treatment in dentist surgery?
  6. etc............

Asalaam Alaikum

um ss

Edited by umss
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 9:57am

Welcome to the Forum. I hope you will enjoy things here.

well.. there are different methodolgies to ge to the same point. One is knowing your children's personalities. I am a teacher and some kids are just SLOW in getting those shoes on.

TV: well befirm on deadlines, or time, like you get half an hour and then it is off. Be firm with this. Kids can always sense if one is a pushover. Make sure you have defined consequences.. like.. no dessert, or no TV the next day. Or take away a something they really like..like TV.

Bed: they just need to go to their room, if nothing else, even if they don't want to. They may not fall asleep right away. But they need to be there with lights out.

There is a clear difference between slow and outright disobedience. Some people are just slow, but they are moving. Praise them when they do it well and quickly.  If they are disobedient then there MUST be a consequence or they will continue to do it.

Concentration: are ther distractions around? If you are talking to the six year old you may need to do it with them to have them learn the habit. Try to have a set schedule, like after scack when they get home, or after dinner. Make it that no TV or dessert without homework done.

Things you dislike: well that is a tricky thing..Is it based on personality or sonething that you think is unhealthy for them. Please give an example.

Motivation to try new things: depends on what it is. First some kids are quite passive. Which is fine but can be harmful if not in balance with being open and willing to try new things. As far as dentist. I would not want to go either! Not much you can do about that.  You don't want to use this all the time, but have a "reward" for those very difficult things.. like the dentist and surgery. Like you'll go to a favorite restaurant, movie or ice cream, or another special type of place.

For other things that are less daunting then the dentist you may need to give it time. Find an activity that helps promote internal strength. I teach karate and self-defense. And we have some very shy kids. They really can leanr to balance out their natural reserve so they can then have choice. We do a lot of role playing in this regard. Most karate schools do not.  

Public Schools in UK: no idea.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Muslimah07 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 3:34pm

Salaam,

I sent a long message advising to spank the children, but I am editing this since it was misunderstood.

Salaams

Edited by Muslimah07
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 9:22pm

Assalaamualaikum

Prophet sallahu alayhi wasallam allowed spanking only if the child is not praying. And beating HARD is not allowed.

Abu Mas'ud al-Badri reported: I was beating my slave with a whip when I heard a voice behind me: Understand, Abu Masud; but I did not recognise the voice due to intense anger. He (Abu Mas'ud) reported: As he came near me (I found) that he was the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and he was saying: Bear in mind, Abu Mas'ud; bear in mind. Abu Mas'ud. He (Aba Maslad) said: threw the whip from my hand. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Bear in mind, Abu Mas'ud; verily Allah has more dominance upon you than you have upon your slave. I (then) said: I would never beat my servant in future.  (Book #015, Hadith #4086)

Mind you, this was a slave. We are talking about little children here. We cannot force children to respect and obey us. Rearing children is not easy. Yes, spanking once in a while when its really necessary is one thing, but beating them all the time makes them more rebellious and disobedient. What works best is love. How you treat them, they will behave exactly the same way with you. We cannot expect the same reaction from every child, one may rebel, another may give in. But definitely we are crushing the self confidence of ALL of them if we do not treat them with love and respect and beat them all the time.

I received a mail regarding this, see my next post....

May Allah guide us and our children and make them the light of our eyes. Wassalaam.

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
amah View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2006 at 9:28pm
Dr. Arun Gandhi, grandson of Mahatma Gandhi and founder of the M.K.Gandhi Institute for Non-violence(http://www.gandhiinstitute.org), in his June 9 lecture at the University of Puerto Rico, shared the following story as an example of "non-violence in parenting": 

"I was 16 years old and living with my parents at the institute my grandfather had founded 18 miles outside of Durban, South Africa, in the middle of the sugar plantations. We were deep in the country and had no neighbors, so my two sisters and I would always look forward to going to town to visit friends or go to the movies.

One day, my father asked me to drive him to town for an all-day conference, and I jumped at the chance. Since I was going to town, my mother gave me a list of groceries she needed and, since I had all day in town, my father ask me to take care of several pending chores, such as getting the car serviced. When I dropped my father off that morning, he said, 'I will meet you here at 5:00 p.m., and we will go home together.'

After hurriedly completing my chores, I went straight to the nearest movie theatre. I got so engrossed in a John Wayne double-feature that I forgot the time. It was 5:30 before I remembered. By the time I ran to
the garage and got the car and hurried to where my father was waiting for me, it was almost 6:00.

He anxiously asked me, 'Why were you late?' I was so ashamed of telling him I was watching a John Wayne western movie that I said, 'The car wasn't ready, so I had to wait,' not realizing that he had already called the garage. When he caught me in the lie, he said: 'There's
something wrong in the way I brought you up that didn't give you the confidence to tell me the truth. In order to figure out where I went wrong with you, I'm going to walk home 18 miles and think about it.'

So, dressed in his suit and dress shoes, he began to walk home in the dark on mostly unpaved, unlit roads. I couldn't leave him, so for five-and-a-half hours I drove behind him, watching my father go through this agony for a st**id lie that I uttered.

I decided then and there that I was never going to lie again. I often  think about that episode and wonder, if he had punished me the way we punish our children, whether I would have learned a lesson at all. I
don't think so. I would have suffered the punishment and gone on doing the same thing. But this single non-violent action was so powerful that it is still as if it happened yesterday. That is the power of non-violence."

Allah is Sufficient as a Walee (Protector) and Allah is Sufficient as a Naseer (Helper).
(Surah An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #45)
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 4:15am

lack of concentration....I agree with hafya on this, also kids have shorter attention spans than adults, perhaps do activities at a lesser time frame. (Even with adults or older kids studying, it is noted that around 20min-30min on something is enough before you need to stop and take a break and later go back to it).

umss, your kids are no different to other kids, even well mannered/rounded kids.  

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Muslimah07 Muslimah07 wrote:

Salaam,

Girl, BEAT THEM KIDS!!!!

Dont tolerate disrespect from your own children!! I am 30, and I was raised by my Muslim Mother and Muslim Father, and girl--my Mom would not hesitate to smack me, or go in her closet and get her belt. And my father would just grab me with 1 arm, and whip me with the other.  I'm 30 now, I'm a Muslim, I never been arrested, I have a college degree, and I'm very sucessful in my career--and my Mom and I are BEST FRIENDS.

Spank them kids Sis. They see you as being WEAK. Thats why they don't listen to you. Dont give them soft little fake taps. Hit them HARD (but dont kill 'em). And dont "pet" them and kiss them afterwards. Tell them to go to their rooms and go to BED. If they start hollering real loud, get the belt and ask them if they want some more. If they say "no", tell them "then you better be quiet".

Sis, if you let them continue like that--they will grow up to be out-of-control.

Salaam

Well, that shocked me

I've seen this done to other kids and it did nothing but put their morale down, not to mention their spirit. And this thread here WE are talking about 6 and 2 years olds! young kids! Do what you advocate, I believe strongly you end up losing their innocence. Yes have discipline and not tolerate misrespect but beat them with a belt and threaten them with, teaches them disrespect and to be afraid moreso than anything. These are YOUNG children and until you understand them I suggest you stay away from this. They are not going to get it or understand when you beat them. To tell them "do you want more" just so they shut up and be quiet after being sent to their room IS NOT going to teach them properly about manners and respect. You got taught by threats but is this right?? but you cannot answer because that is what you know and you think it is alright.

Here's a scenerio to think about, you have siblings who fight and hit each other (as many do  ) but you as a parent come in to stop them fighting because it is not right and could hurt each other but to teach them you go and beat them - how is that teaching them not to fight/hit each other when you as a parent just did the same thing to them ??

Is it alright going around every time they do something wrong or have misrespected you or someone else or don't listen and beat them and send them to their rooms and threaten them with more beatings/hit them hard??

I don't care if you turned out ok IT IS not alright to do what you advocate.

I left the middle paragraph out about taking away something the kids love or not allow them to go on a trip (or the shopping centre if they are older) or do clean up or not get pocket money, as a discipline tool, as I believe & think there is no harm to the kids, you are not beating them up or threatening to beat them up. Send them to their room for time out and to think about what they did, by all means and also talk to them why such and such is wrong - at their level of understanding NOT yours!   

Edited by Angel
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2006 at 8:02am

As salamu alaikum. 

Sis. Umms tarbiya is one of the greatest obligations of a muslim woman.  Allah will bless you for your sincerity in seeking knowledge to better your children's upbringing.  In sha allah I'll try to answer what I can. 

1. disobey or delay to respond you even on a small request like stop watching TV and go to sleep etc.?

Behavior is many cases is a learned phenomenon that is influenced by the environment.  If a child misbehaves and the behavior is not punished consistently, the behavior will most likely be reinforced.   Punishment doesn't have to be hitting.  It's anything that will cause a decrease in the bahavior.

The next time you tell your child to turn off the TV and he/she doesn't, you turn it off.  Then you take the television for a specific amount of time.  This punishment has to be immediately after the behavior (don't wait until your husband gets home, the kid has forgotten everything by then).  If the child cries, screams, begs, bargains, etc. when you remove the TV, don't give in to it.  If you set a punishment and then let the child off the hook, you will not only reinforce the unwanted behavior, but you'll make it occur more frequently. 

If your child has a serious problem with obedience, it's important to first teach him/her how to be obedient, then reward him/her for obedience.  How do you teach obedience???  

a)  First you sit down with your child and explain the specific behaviour that you desire from him/her (i.e "Ahmed, when mommy says turn off the TV I want you to say "yes mommy" and then turn it off quickly").  Don't use general terms like "i want you to behave yourself."  It's confusing for children.  Try telling your husband to "behave", it's enough to confuse a grown man even.

b)  Once you've exaplained the desired behavior, practice it. ("ok Ahmed we're going to practice.  Are you ready?  Ahmed turn off the TV").  Do it a couple of times.  If you have a camcorder, record him "obeying you" and let him watch. 

c) Then you should explain the reward system you'll use with him.  (ok Ahmed, everytime I ask you to turn off the TV and you do like we've practiced you'll get a sticker on this chart.  10 stickers= one dollar.  At the end of the week you can cash in your stickers for money).

d) Explain the punishment ("Ahmed, if you don't do like we've practiced you won't get the sticker and you'll have to sit on time out for x amount of minutes").

Just remember, a reward is not a reward if it's given freely.  If for example you make money the reward.  Then you should only give him/her money for the stickers they've earned.  Make sure your husband backs you up on this.

lack of consentration on study?

What exactly do you mean by this?  Is the child having a hard time paying attention?  This could be due to excessive sugar intake.  Try not to give your children lots of candy, sugary drinks, etc.  In fact, if you limit their sugar intake to the weekend that's best.  Not just for concentration but for their health.  The statistics on diabetes amongst chilren in the U.S is scary.

When your child is doing homework, make sure there are no distractions where he's studying (no TV or radio playing, no people talking, etc.).  Make yourself available just incase he's having a hard time with his homework.  Some children need more academic coaching than others. 

1. did something that you dislike, even it is halal thing?

Sis, I really need an example for this one.  Just, try not to be a skin flint.  Ultimately, your children must obey you no matter what.  Allah commands us to obey our parents (so long as obeying them is not disobeying Allah).  Your children need to uderstand that by obeying you and their father, they are obeying Allah.  This understanding comes through proper Islamic education.  If you've never talked to your children about Allah, the hereafter, etc. you need to start.  How can they understand and respect your authority over them if they are heedless of Allah's right over them??????

attending the public school in the UK?

I would honestly suggest home school or Islamic school.  In the US there are plenty of charter schools that provide parents with everything required to successfully homeschool.  At the end, the child earns an accredited high school diploma.  I'm not sure about the UK.  Check with the school board in your area.  Islamic schools in the West are not perfect, but they're certainly safer for muslim children.

Salaam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic