IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Raising our sons to be good husbands  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raising our sons to be good husbands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raising our sons to be good husbands
    Posted: 16 February 2006 at 8:32am

AsalaamAlaikum all, I just wanted to start a new topic on how we can raise the next generation of boys to be better husbands. There are alot of complaints about how women are treated, however I think one thing we can do is train our boys to be gentlemen which is becoming a lost art. Some ideas I have are-

1. Do not spoil them to the point of making them little kings. Treat them the same as your daughters and never favor them or praise them for being boys.

2. Teach them to be loving compassionate and sensitive. Show them lots of tender love and show them how to be gentle. Encourage thier fathers to talk to them softly and hug them alot. Have thier dads talk to them about how to treat a lady, when they are little this should be thier mommy, sisters, aunties, grandma, neighbors ect.

3. If they are older teach them to help care for younger siblings, help to feed them, get them dressed, read them stories ect. I have my six year old son read to my 3 year old daughter. I encourage him to teach her new things. I have him help her get dressed and put on her shoes.

4. Give them chores, and don't go easier on them than you would on a girl. My son is six and cleans his room, makes his bed and cleans up his own toys. He helps my husband in the yard. When he is older I will teach him how to fold laundry and help in the kitchen and even cook.

Anyway, gotta go. I hope you all have more ideas. Peace

You cant be a good muslim if you are not decent and have a cold heart. Be a decent and kind person and care for women and children and the elderly.
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2006 at 8:53am

You know, my husband is a Godsend.  He works just as hard around the house as I do.  He holds me sometimes for no reason other than to just let me know he cares.  In our 5 years of marriage, he's never been unkind or harsh with me. 

His mother taught all of her boys to be respectful of women.  My husband helped care for his brothers who are 10 and 15 years younger than he is and as such is wonderful around children.

I also think a good thing to teach the young men is that being the spiritual leader of the home does not make him King with slaves.  If anything it gives him added responsibility to lead by example.  Show kindness, charity and hard work so that his children learn these values.  Also there is no greater lesson in either Islam or Christianity than the pure love of God.  One that we can show to each other as well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic