IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My husband has another wife  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My husband has another wife

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Originally posted by Alwardah Alwardah wrote:

Don't worrry so much about the co-wife 

Wow, how realistic is that? He leaves for extended periods.

Very realistic she is entitled to half his time. 3 month here, 3 months there.

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 7:35pm

Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Don't worrry so much about the co-wife 

Wow, how realistic is that? He leaves for extended periods.

Very realistic she is entitled to half his time. 3 month here, 3 months there.

My point is not concerning division of time, which is nothing to worry about, but what certainly troubles most women, and that is knowing their husband is with another woman.  How do you ask they not worry about this?  How realistic is that?

Edited by abuayisha
herjihad View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herjihad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 3:00pm

Salaamu Alaykum,

Dear Sister,

When you say that all that you want is...

Sometimes and indeed very often, we don't get the least of the things that we want or need.  In Shah Allah, you will find these things. 

But if they are lacking, treasure your Islaam through your own heart and soul because Allah, The Loving, has chosen you, and Allah, The All-Knowing, chooses wisely.

Al-Hamdulillah (From a Married Muslimah) La Howla Wa La Quwata Illa BiLLah - There is no Effort or Power except with Allah's Will.
lovesakeenah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovesakeenah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2007 at 2:53am

As-salaam alaykum warahamatullah wabarakatuh

This is a little "off" the present discussion,but i thought of sharing it with you because I believe it would be useful considering what the main topic generated..

Labelling,tagging,talkingdown,discriminating,relegating,segr egating&any other adjective you can find similar to these words,cut across every Race,Tribe,Ethnic,Culture,just name it.And I want to correct your impression that these things only 'exist' amongst"Born Muslims" & "Reverts".That is not the case my dear brethren.I am a born-Muslim,who's had the privilege of visitng another Continent besides my Home Country.And it isn't because you're not born-Muslims,but because there's a difference between a "Muslim" and a "Muhmin".Anyone could be a Muslim,by name,by birth or by Reverting.This doesn't mean such person has the'knowledge of Islam" or have enough Taqwa to appreciate&respect any other Muslim who's just getting to understand Islam better.A Muhmin would have the fear of Allah to appreciate that we differ in our intellectual capability& piety.Anyone who taggs another fellow Muslim for being a Revert, because he or she's a born-Muslim,obviously has a lot to learn about the meaning of "Islam".Allah is Al-Hakam,--The Judge.That attribute isn't any human's, which is why nobody,irrespective of your level of Religious practices or if you're a Reknowned Scholar has the right to say so and so is 'more Pious' because of the mode of dressing,the type&size of Ijab,the Race, or whatever.We are required as Muslims to guide ourselves &encourage each other in doing good&forbidding evil.But it doesn't give anyone the right to call other Muslims names or rebuke them,just because you feel they are less knowledgeable'.

I equally want you to know that it doesn't matter if you are a born-Muslim because some people just find themselves born as a Muslim,but do not go beyond 'bearing Muslim names'.All other acts of Ibaadat are neglected.Imagine what comments would be passed if such person treats another Muslim unfairly.They would say,afterall...........My point is,we born-Muslims amongst ourselves have been prejudiced by our fellow Muslims & people of other race.I for one have experienced it.I do not mean any offence to Pakistanis,but they are far from friendly&when they come across Muslims from other race.I have heard people call them'Racists'&would not blame anyone for their conclusion because of what I went through as well.

However,one must be fair&not make a blanket judgement.The fact that a person,amongst hundreds of others behaved badly towards you doesn't mean the rest are like that.And it definately doesn't mean,that's what Islam "preaches".Individual characters must be considered before one makes a'general conclusion'.

It might interest you to know that in my Country,some people with the full"Jilbab" consider themselves as better Muslims(mostly more Pious)&refuse to relate with a fellow sister in Scarf or other forms of Ijab besides theirs.I was rejected for this same reason&considered myself as a lesser person in hierarchy of Pious people ,until I learnt & understood Islam better.And my case is just one of many.I personally made it my responsibility to talk to upcoming Muslims to ignore whatever comments anyone passes on them about what they wear or what they think of them.Only Allah knows the hearts of us all.So,please,do not think that a born-Muslim is better than any other Muslim,revert,convert or whatever,just because they act or think so.They're just wallowing in their shallow minds devoid of true faith&understanding of their Deen.

I broke away from being a subject of such mentality & suggest you do the same.

May Allah guide us all to the right path&that which pleases Him most.

"I have conviction that Allah has power over everything.Verily!Allah's knowledge includes and encompasses everything".
Angela View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2007 at 12:29am
Martha,

I am Mormon, we have in the past had polygamy in our religion.  I have had many conversations with my husband on the possibility of a future where our faith practices it again. 

Here's something to think about.  There are so few good men in this world.  Men who treat their women with respect and love.  For those of us who were lucky to catch one we are blessed.  But there are many of our sisters in this world who do not have that blessing.  Their husbands beat them, degrade them or just flat out ignore them.

Perhaps the most unselfish act is to share with your co-wife the blessings of a hardworking and loving husband.  If he is able to provide for both of you and is able to treat you equally (as required by the Quran) then why not?

Polygyny is not for everyone.  You husband should have be upfront with you.  Also, in the US, polygamy is a way to lose your visa.  You may want to check on that. 

If you think this is something that you could come to accept, speak with him about being open and honest.  Understand that he must separate his time and try to be understanding. Ask outright if the other woman knows that he has a wife in the US.  I'm sure she does.  Perhaps you could reach out in friendship by sending a gift with your husband next time he visits. 

Friendship is difficult between co-wives.  But, if you two were able to bond in some small way, it would make life easier on your husband.  (or worse if you talk to my husband, he says he fears more than one wife would just gang up on him )

I'm sure the Prophet Muhammed's (pbuh) wives worked together, but they were women.  Which mean I'm sure they didn't always agree.

Don't think if you stay in the polygamous marriage that you have to be best friend's with your co-wife.  But, perhaps you should think of it as a sacrifice with blessings. 

Isaiah 4:1
"And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach. "

I believe in the Last Days, the Prophets have foretold how bad it will get.  There will come a day when our sisters around the world will have no good men, faithful servants of God to look after them.

This coming from a recovering feminist who grew up in liberal America.  LOL.  Take my words for whatever they are.  I would just be upset he felt that it was okay to lie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic